Hi, my name is James Anderson and I’m delighted to be the clubs Chairman for 2017. I wish you a very warm welcome to our BRCMAC website.
If you’re not familiar with our club or with our sport then I hope this site provides you with some further information. We would be delighted to meet you and to welcome you into both our club and this wonderful sport. Please feel free to contact us via our Contact link where we will be delighted to answer any further questions you may have and offer any advice you require.
As a private model aircraft club we have been established since 1949, flying at our Duckhole site, just north of Thornbury. We are registered with our Local Authority and the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) who, together with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) control the rules on flying model aircraft in the UK. Our Club’s Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance is arranged and managed through the BMFA and is provided automatically as part of our club membership package.
I and my fellow Committee Members are all keen model builders and flyers but as the Club’s Committee our primary roles are to:
- Ensure the personal safety of our members and non-members whilst attending the club site, club events and general flying.
- Ensure our activities are underpinned by club rules.
- Ensure that our members enjoy flying in a well organised site.
Our Committee meets regularly to facilitate the day-to-day running the club as well as organising events throughout the year (club calendar) and work hard to keep our flying site, its access and facilities in good condition. Since our Committee members are all volunteers, they do need assistance from the general membership to maintain our site. I want to be clear with readers that these are important activities and that, to keep club fees to a minimum, the Committee does ‘expect’ club members to assist when working parties are occasionally arranged throughout the year.
We have pro-active training programmes to allow new members (new and established) to both start and/or improve their flying under tuition. A club rule is that NO member may fly at the club unsupervised until they have qualified by holding an appropriate BMFA ‘A’ certificate (Fixed Wing), (Helicopter), (Multi-rotor) or better
Our Committee also arranges various events throughout the year including a summer BBQ that includes invited guest pilots who with our own members arrange a very professional flying display. We hold meetings each month from October until March where we gather for a chat and have guest speakers attend various meetings.
In all we have around 60 members and are a very friendly bunch, with a vast range of experience and skills to help new members settle in to our hobby.
I would like to introduce you to my fellow Committee Members for 2015, who are:
|Safety/Training Officer||John Harris|
|Web Master||Steve Bridges|
|Site Supervisor||Murray Barnes|
|Events Organiser||Mike Chinnick|
As a full member of our club you will enjoy the benefits of:
- A secure and exclusive use flying site, with a dedicated parking area and a 72metre grass strip.
- Flying hours that are approved – 09:00hrs until 21:00hrs for 365 days per year.
- Full Public Liability Insurance cover under the BMFA insurance scheme
- Club Instructors and BMFA approved examiners
- Club tub available for initial flight training, using a buddy box transmitter
- Training programmes to achieve ‘A & B’ flying certificates
- A friendly group of around 60 members who can offer advice and assistance
- On site PortaKabin with flight battery charging facilities
- An annual summer BBQ where professional pilots join our members to create an enjoyable flying display.
- Club nights where we arrange guest speakers to present their interesting themes.
When you’ve had a chance to look around our site in more detail, you will see that we have great facilities in which you can enjoy your hobby; obviously this does come at a cost. Our club is funded by small annual fee payable by each Club Member. Click these links for more information on Fees and becoming a Member